Monday, August 6, 2012

hair cut

"You are pretty brave to cut Pepper's hair like that,"
my friend said last night.
Actually, friend, bravery is minimal.
I was simply fed up.
Done with the battle to maintain pigtails.
Yes, they were cute.
Yes, she looked like Boo from Monsters Inc.
Yet however I'd rope those pigtails in, she'd pull them out within the hour.
I'd find wadded up rubberbands on the floor and Pepper twinkling away on her trademark pixie toes.
So, I thought, Pixie Cut?

I've never held pristine ideals about my kids' appearance.
I buy all clothes 2nd hand.
I store boxes of hand-me-downs in tumble-down castles.
They are free to get as dirty as imaginations demand.
On picture day, Sophie dressed herself.
For 1st grade pictures she wore jeans underneath a skirt underneath a dress.  She held her chin up high, clearly proud of her 3-tiered ensemble.

Kids are utilitarian poets.
I try to facilitate this delightful combination whenever possible.
I swirve the mini-van like a maniac in the snow to see how far we can slide.
I sing the Lion King with full voice right along with Pepper
I let Sophie cook with flair and full artistic license.  This includes as many dishes, vegetables and spices as necessary.   She surprises me often.
One day my husband, Andrew accusingly said,
"The most important thing to you is that the kids have the most amount of fun possible, all the time."
To which I replied,
"Yes. and..."

And she lived happily ever after

Pepper is proud of her hair.
She twirls the short pieces in the back and says,
"You like my hair?  It's Ca-yewt."

Now we don't brush her hair, we style it.
She is completely fine with styling.
Brushing was a wrestling match.
But styling is fun.

So while her hair is certainly not professional.
It is fun.
Functional.
And to this Mom's eyes - adorable.



Pepper flaunting her new hair to Beckam in the bath.


1 comment: