Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Not-so-tiny prayers

Pepper fell asleep in the car at 5 p.m. yesterday.
Pepper Self Portrait - with my phone
She is still asleep at 5:30 a.m. this morning.
I guess she was tired.

I tried to wake her up several times.  I couldn't fathom she could actually sleep all the way through to morning.  Also, she still had a Starburst in her mouth.  She did wake up once, chew it swallow the pink juice and go back to sleep.

At 2 a.m. she came to find me, "Mom, the sun is goin' down."
"Yes, Pepper.  Let's go back to bed."
I scoop her feet up off the floor and rest my cheek on hers.
I was expecting this.  I am not mad.
"Let's get snuggly," I say "Do you need a drink?"
"I have to go potty."
On the toilet we talk about how everyone is asleep.
"Mom, Beckam's asleep?"
"Yes."
"Mom, Sophie's asleep?  I love that Sophie."
"Yes."
"Mom, the ponies are asleep?"
"Yes."
She smiles a half-awake, post-dentist smile.

We settle into her pink blanket.  She points at me,
"Mom, you pray."
"Okay."
She settles deeper into her blanket and grins.
We go down the list and say thank you for everyone.  Dad, Gwen, Uncle Brent, Beckam, Kitty, Gary, Brooklyn, Flint, Kat, Jennie, Finn, Lily, Nennie, Max, Grandma, Grandpa, Sophie, and all the horses.  Please help Pepper be nice and not hit her friends, and share and sleep all night long in her own bed.
Then she went back to sleep, and so did I, in the pink blanket.

Somehow I have taught my children to pray.  Completely on their own, they have decided it is important.  I never tell them to do it.  They tell me.  


1 comment:

  1. this post brought tears streaming down my face. not sure why... u seem to have the gift of telling the small simple moments in life and allowing us to see the magnitude and importance of them. thank you sawah. i will be forever grateful to you for teaching me to see.

    ReplyDelete