She unfolds into thoughtful, creative stuff all the time. I miss it.
Just like the unruly kids in class, the toddler and baby get the most attention.
While the brilliant student off in in the corner is unlocking Algebra's secrets, nobody notices.
![]() |
| concentrated painting with her new easel |
She cooks her own recipes in her wok. She doesn't even need a stool anymore. I let her use the chef's knife on her own. It's as long as her arm. I have my dad to thank for that. He gave us a 2 foot machete to hack down bamboo in the backyard when I was 10.
Sophie makes art with a recklessness and frustration which I feel too. She is rarely satisfied with the
artistic process. She would rather bounce her body off the ground.
She reads books to her siblings with gusto and sing-song kid voice. On nights when my patience is thinner than a coffee filter, she steps in with fresh face and gentle hands.
Yesterday she constructed a Science lab and melted wax into dried leaves. It included a tiny notebook where she took note of her observations.
"Well, glasses break." Then she smiled.
Today, I will take Sophie to the 2nd hand store and buy some fancy glasses. We will get apple cider and pick flowers. It's time for a girls night. She needs to know how precious she is. When Grandma let me use her fancy glasses, I thought, "Wow, she must really trust me."
I'd leave feeling quite capable and tall.



i love sophie.
ReplyDelete