![]() |
| Sophie age 6 |
Help my heart be brave and strong and ready for tomorrow."
~Sophie's prayer~
Every night I stand on the top wrung of Sophie's bunk bed and hold her hand.
I listen to her voice as it reaches out in prayer.
It trickles slowly. It is early run-off from a white mountain still frozen.
She asks for help to accept her step-parents exactly as they are.
She says thank you for her little brother and sister, even though they drive her crazy.
She asks Nannie Bonnie and Kitty to take care of each other. They have both passed on, and we assume they are in the same place, together.
She asks for help to let her gymnastics unfold each day.
Her wording is abstract and poetic.
She takes long pauses in between.
In the end she breaths deep and exhales, "Amen."
Then she reaches for me with arms too strong for her small body.
She pulls me in and whispers, "I love you Mom."
Some nights I am so tired, I almost wish she would forget to pray.
She never does. My tired toes grip the wooden ladder and my burning eyes close.
I hear the trickle. It is clear and fresh every time.
And I am put in my place once again.
I remember a simple truth.
It takes 2 minutes.
2 minutes to grow an integrity strong enough to carry me through a lifetime.
This is the best I can hope for.
I hope she walks into the world with roots so thick and so deep that no wind can uproot her.
![]() |
| Sophie's eyes see so much... |


No comments:
Post a Comment